Monday, December 29, 2008

False Measles?

On early morning of Christmas (abt 3.30am), realised Shawn had fever when I woke up to his crying for milk. Scare me, quickly fed him paracetamol. Then brought him to our bed to sleep so that i can monitor his temp.

He seems ok in the day. Fever came again at nite.

I was on leave on Fri, 26 Dec. Had wanted to bring the kids out with my mum. Since Shawn was unwell, we stayed at home. In the evening, my FIL came to fetch us to YC's grandma's hse.

That nite, Shawn temp went up very high. His whole body was very hot (compared to earlier where only his neck/body is hot, hands and legs were not). I took his temp and the reading was 40.2 degree. I didn't sleep well the whole nite as i kept sponging Shawn. Poor boy, must had been very uncomfortable. What made things worse was that Cherylin suddenly cried in the middle of the nite when she couldn't find me in her room. Went into her room to console her, tell her mummy gotta go to attend to didi as he's sick. She refused to let me go initially. When i asked again that she sleeps on her own, she nodded her head. I asked again and she nodded again. Hence, i kissed her goodbye and went back to my room. A while later, i heard Cherylin crying. She's asking for mummy (though she earlier agreed to let me go but deep in her heart she wished mummy had stayed). This time round, i decided to sleep with her and brought Shawn back to his cot.

YC and I had thought that Shawn's fever was due to teething (he had loose stool too, which is also a symptom of teething). When we saw that his temp was so high, we decided to bring him to the PD in the morning (his temp in the morning was 38.4 degree).

After asking some questions and examining Shawn, Dr Heng said it could be false measles. He confirmed that it's not due to teething as usually temp will not exceed 38 degree. We felt more at ease after bringing Shawn to see his PD (though i understand fever usually last for 3 days and it's the 3rd day when we went to the PD), even though Shawn would have recovered even without seeing the PD (which is true cos i only fed him one dose of paracetamol after that and he was ok since then).

Shawn developed slight cough. Hope he'll recover fast. Hate it when he had cough.
Hmm...maybe it's not false measles afterall as I don't see rashes on Shawn's face and body. *touch wood* - hope the rashes don't come late (cos PD said will be very ugly :)

Some updates to Shawn and Cherylin's height and weight after visit to PD on 27 Dec:
Cherylin - 100cm, 15.8kg
Shawn - 75cm, 9.32kg

No comments: