Thursday, December 4, 2008

What should I do?

I was reading the blog of my fren whereby she commented that she’ll allow her kid to enjoy herself/be herself (i.e. let the kid do whatever that she likes) as long as the kid doesn’t overly disturb others. She doesn’t want her kid to grow up being shy or timid. After reading this, something struck me. Whether I had been too restrictive on Cherylin’s behaviour when she’s outside.

Nowadays, YC works late every day till 11pm. Hence, I will bring Cherylin home on my own. We will take a direct bus from my mum’s place. Cherylin likes to sing loudly when she’s on the bus. Afraid that she’ll disturb others, I always ask her not to sing so loud. She doesn’t like it when I said so. She’ll be unhappy and ask me why she can’t sing loudly on the bus. This is one of the reasons she quoted for not wanting to follow me home lately. So, I tried to turn a deaf ear when she sings. Somehow, when she gets really loud, I can’t help but to stop her again. Do you think I should let her be and ignore others who may be annoyed by her? I thought I shouldn’t. Just want to know opinions of others…

1 comment:

Jemy said...

I think u shd play it by ear. Look around the bus, if nobody is bothered by Cherylin's singing, then let her be. If really pple r annoyed, then tell Cherylin "see, uncle/auntie is angry. u r disturbing them." Let her understand the repercussions of her actions on others, rather than just telling her to stop singing.

Alternatively, maybe u can think of other activities to occupy her. Like a sticker book, or just engage in a conversation with her, divert her attention to the surroundings passing by outside the bus. In this way, she probably won't feel restrictive bcos her attention is diverted.

just my 2cts worth...